Sunday, September 24, 2006

 
On Wednesday morning, I tried out for the Turkish Superleague. I made it...sort of.

Göktürk and I got on the ice around 8:30 am. The lights were just coming up, and a heavy fog was settled near the playing surface, so everything felt surreal. As we circled the ice, stretching out and lifting the fog a bit, the environs of the rink became more clear - on one side a very steep bank of bleachers, on the other glass windows rising three stories, behind which a restaurant, a bar, and some offices were situated.

I skated nearly an hour (just the two of us), getting put through various drills. My slapshot is incredibly weak (weaker than my other weak skills), and I felt embarrassed. I kept saying it was my 5 month layoff from skating, but I knew it wasn't just that.

Göktürk took it easy on me, but it was obvious he was much better. His skills probably resemble the best of what I see in my Albany hockey league. He plays defense, but skates nearly as fast as the top skater I know of in Albany. His shot isn't as strong as some I've seen, and I don't think he can place it as well as one or two sharpshooters in our league, but his control of the puck and moves with skating are incredibly strong (especially for someone from Turkey). He'd be a top player in our league, and conversely, some skaters from my league would have a blast playing here.

Not me, though. Again, he told me about the practices each week, including weight-training. I felt that I could keep up with him (he's one of the better in his league too), but that I would be one of the weaker players, as I am in Albany. He concurred, saying in the First league (just a step below), I'd do real well, but he wasn't sure about the Superleague. He said I should come to their first practices, however, and we'd see from there.

If I were younger, with something to prove, I'd do it. But I'm 42 (the ages of the players are roughly 25-30; he told me to tell the other players I was 35), and I didn't come here to Turkey to spend all my time trying to make a hockey team. I also fear some of the hitting in the league (in Albany it's considered a no-check hockey league; here it's full contact, and players don't wear full cages like I have). Again, if I were younger, didn't have a wife and three children and a new country to explore and a new job, etc.

Tomorrow I am going to thank Göktürk for the opportunity, but explain that I'd have more fun (and not have to devote so much effort) playing in the First league.

Along with my first hockey experience here, I borrowed a car for a few days. What a ride. The chaotic driving makes sense if everyone is aware of it and does the same thing (for example, when my morning shuttle van driver drives along the far LEFT side of the road to avoid the construction for a few blocks, and oncoming traffic gives him space as if that's ok). I equate it all to a city of bicycle riders. Sure, there are rules, but they are just there for some general direction. If hundreds of bicylists were on a roadway and meeting at a round-a-bout, everyone would manage, though it would seem chaotic to an outsider.

My driving included going through three red lights, one illegal left turn, and one illegal u-turn, all intentionally. It seems to be the norm that if it's safe, to go, especially as other cars are honking at you from behind to go. I see hesitant drivers, and they really are the most dangerous. One shouldn't be overly aggressive, but certainly confident.

I think our driving will be limited to occasional weekend trips around Ankara (a co-worker has graciously offered her car), which is enough for me, but I'm glad to have experience it, and Albany will seem quite tame after this.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?