Thursday, September 14, 2006

 
Well, I've made it through two classes, with only one major glitch. I...SAT ON A DESK! I was told earlier in the week that teachers only stand or sit at their desk, never sit on a table or desk. After my second class today, however, a teacher reminded me that I shouldn't do that, and that the principal was going around looking in the window checking. An hour later, another teacher approached me to say...the same thing! Well, as one who likes to move around a bit in the class, this will through me off (I'm not even aware that I sit on desks - and by that, I mean lean a bit on a desk). Hmmm...

Otherwise, I certainly enjoyed my classes. I'll have to find out if they enjoyed me. The students' abilities ranged in each class, as did their confidence level. Each class had at least one or two strong students who could help me get my point across. My 11th grade language class, which is the strongest, has an exchange student from California, a student from Australia, and one who lived until last year in England.

My 9th grade prep class had students who had difficulty repeating words I said. But in any language, I could feel for the kid who came in 30 minutes late; he'd been sitting in the wrong class! Mistakes are universal.

My most immediate problem is the trouble I'm having learning names (it doesn't help there are extra letters, or that a "c" has a "j" sound, etc.), but otherwise I'm feeling confident. Since my lessons are somewhat mapped out, and I only teach 14 hours a week in total, I have more time than normal to write up specific lesson plans. I should bring more energy to my classes than ever here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?