Tuesday, September 19, 2006

 
When you're in a foreign country, if you don't become proactive, not much is going to happen. Conversely, if you keep trying (even if your command of the native language is limited), just the fact that you're a foreigner can open doors for you. Maybe it's the pity they feel...

For example, I knew that Ankara had one of the two or three existing rinks in the entire country of Turkey, so I brought my hockey equipment (for those who don't know, I play in the Capital District Hockey Association Men's League, an over age 30 league). I thought surely I could join a league here, keep in shape, make some new friends, etc.

After three weeks, however, I was getting nowhere. There was a league mentioned, but it only had three teams, and may have also played one or two teams from Istanbul. Everytime I had someone call on my behalf (and I kept pestering them), someone from the league said I had to have a "letter" from my US team, and asked if I only expected to do the training part (i.e. practice). Well, I wasn't sure about a "letter," but emailed my league, and they sent a letter verifying I had been playing in league the last three years. Then I had to find out about games versus training (in the US, we only play games, and often our only training is at the Ale House afterwards). I also was trying to find out about the ability level (I'm not very good compared to true hockey players). Afterall, Turkey is ranked 41st in the world, behind Australia, Israel and South Africa. But still, a good athelete is a good athelete. I kept having people call on my behalf, however. After all, I'd lugged that equipment half-way around the world.

One of my assistant principals, Nehat, who himself looks like he could play linebacker or tightend for a professional team, said he had a friend who helped train a team, and would contact me. But after many days of promises, he still hadn't shown up. Today, however, he was to show at 11 am, so there was hope.

Well, 11 am came and went, then 11:30, then 12. I said I was leaving at 12:30 to run an errand, and he said he should arrive at 12:20. Just as I was leaving, Nehat showed up at the office door, with two 25ish looking Turks. The larger of the two (neither were that imposing) was Göktürk, wearing a Wayne Gretsky t-shirt, and several days growth of beard. Through a fellow English teacher acting as translator, I found that Göktürk was the CAPTAIN OF THE TURKISH NATIONAL TEAM! So what if the national team isn't that highly ranked, I thought wow, this is kind of neat. They said Turkey just moved up from Group C to Group B internationally, and they wouldn't start the league for two more weeks, because most of the players were traveling to Belgrade or somewhere to play next week (some former Russian country, but it was lost in translation).

Well, I thought, I'm probably in over my head, but maybe I could watch them practice and see their skill level. No way, though. Göktürk lives near me, and he would pick me up in the morning and give me a one-hour try-out...and then drive me to school. My department advisor had to give permission, but what could she say (I have no morning classes on Wednesdays). So tomorrow I try out for one of the teams (a free league by the way, if I make it, since the teams are fully sponsored).

It just goes to show what can be accomplished if you try...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?